July 18 2018
Published by former Mayor George Gardner The Report is an independent publication serving our community Contributions are appreciated
Nature & Wildlife Art Exhibition The St. Augustine Art Association will be transformed into a nature- lover's paradise with the installation of the ninth annual Nature & Wildlife Art Exhibition. The juried exhibition features an array of unique interpretations of the natural world, including birds and botanicals, marine life and landscapes, wild beasts and endangered species. The exhibition is free and open to the public Tuesday to Saturday noon-4 pm and Sunday 2-5 pm. Visit www.staaa.org 
History’s highlight The end of the Florida War From Wikipedia.org In May 1841, Col. William Jenkins Worth was named commander of Army forces in Florida. Worth had to cut back on the unpopular war: he released nearly 1,000 civilian employees and consolidated commands. Worth ordered his men out on "search and destroy" missions during the summer and drove the Seminoles out of much of northern Florida. The Army's actions became a war of attrition; some Seminole surrendered to avoid starvation. Others were seized when they came in to negotiate surrender, including, for the second time, Coacoochee. A large bribe secured Coacoochee's cooperation in persuading others to surrender. In the last action of the war, General William Bailey and prominent planter Jack Bellamy led a posse of 52 men on a three-day pursuit of a small band of Tiger Tail's braves who had been attacking settlers, surprising their swampy encampment and killing all 24. William Wesley Hankins, at sixteen the youngest of the posse, accounted for the last of the kills and was acknowledged as having fired the last shot of the Second Seminole War. After Colonel Worth recommended early in 1842 that the remaining Seminoles be left in peace, he received authorization to leave the remaining Seminoles on an informal reservation in southwestern Florida and to declare an end to the war. He announced it on August 14, 1842. At the end of 1842, the remaining Indians in Florida living outside the reservation in southwest Florida were rounded up and shipped west. By April 1843, the Army presence in Florida had been reduced to one regiment. By November 1843, Worth reported that only about 95 Seminole men and some 200 women and children living on the reservation were left, and that they were no longer a threat. The Second Seminole War may have cost as much as $40,000,000. More than 40,000 regular U.S. military, militiamen and volunteers served in the war. This Indian war cost the lives of 1,500 soldiers, mostly from disease. It is estimated that more than 300 regular U.S. Army, Navy and Marine Corps personnel were killed in action, along with 55 volunteers. There is no record of the number of Seminole killed in action, but many homes and Indian lives were lost. A great many Seminole died of disease or starvation in Florida, on the journey west, and after they reached Indian Territory. An unknown but apparently substantial number of white civilians were killed by Seminole during the war. Image: Col. William Worth and Coacoochee
Visit FirstCoastTV
Jesse Fish slept here Fish Island is notable in St. Augustine history as the home of Jesse Fish, 18th century hustler who amassed more than 200 Spanish properties when Britain took control of Florida in 1763, promising officials he’d sell the houses at their fair value and then reimburse the Spanish owners. Fish lived in relative modesty on his 10,000-acre plantation on Fish Island, producing internationally famous oranges. Upon his death in 1790, the Spanish administration in Florida decided to auction off the unsold properties. Then began a rash of legal suits by former owners or their children and grandchildren to regain the old homesteads.
Fish Island development meets strong resistance  “I’m going to go out on a limb here and say this application warrants a second hearing.” Planning and Zoning Board Chair Grant Misterly at the end of a three-hour hearing on a request for planned unit development zoning (PUD) to build 170 homes on Fish Island. Numerous questions remained as Planning and Zoning Board (PZB) Chair Grant Misterly concluded the July hearing on Jacksonville homebuilder DR Horton’s application for planned unit development zoning (PUD) at the southeast side of the SR 312 bridge – the Fish Island home of 18th century hustler Jesse Fish. Listed by Misterly for a second hearing: tree and traffic surveys, 17 environmental criteria specific to the current application, eagle’s nest buffers, public access to a dock, sidewalks, elevation details, project density, bulkhead impact, and use of reclaimed water for irrigation. Horton seeks a PZB recommendation to the City Commission, which must approve zoning and comprehensive Plan changes. A dozen speakers condemned the plan. “The applicant is seeking smaller than minimum lot size – 40-foot frontage,” Genero Shivelli said. (Standard lot width is 50 feet). “The homes would be marketed in the $300,000 - $400,000 range. The homes are to be built on 40-foot-wide lots with extremely minimal setbacks. This price point for this crammed development? Before you recommend the transformation of this expanse of natural marsh – consider, what is the public benefit here?” And board member Sue Agresta commented, “At a time when seas are rising and hurricanes becoming stronger it makes no sense to remove the trees and roots that are holding this land together.” The Building area would have to be clear cut to raise elevations from the current 4½ - 7 feet to 9½ foot minimum floor elevations required by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
Seminole War Commemoration August 18 The 11th Annual Seminole War Commemoration will be held Saturday, August 18, at the St. Francis Barracks and National Cemetery on Marine Street, presented by The West Point Society of North Florida. The commemoration recognizes the procession and burial of officers and soldiers killed during the Seminole Indian Wars, also called the Florida War, the most costly and longest Indian war in US history and a war without surrender, simply ended by American officers. Reenactors will reprise the solemn procession of August 14, 1842, along Marine Street to the cemetery, with a wreath laying and comment, followed by lunch and reception in the Officers Club. The ceremonies are free with a $20 registration fee for the luncheon. For more information contact Mark Tolzmann at Mark3370@hotmail. Image: Gary LeVeille
Color it San Marco Hotel The Historic Architectural Review Board (HARB) has approved a color plan for the proposed San Marco Hotel along West Castillo Drive in perhaps the least contentious hearings for hotelier Kanti Patel’s project inspired by the original 19th century San Marco Hotel.  The plan was battled through four years, first to break it up similar to Patel’s Hilton Bayfront Hotel to appear as individual buildings, then to get approval for an underground passage to parking lots adjacent to the hotel on West Castillo Drive. No word yet when the former 3D World and Best Western Hotel buildings on San Marco and West Castillo avenues will be demolished and construction started on the San Marco Hotel.
Pups Surfing Competition at St. Augustine Beach Hosted by K9s for Warriors and Guy Harvey Outpost Resort, this dog surfing contest on St. Augustine Beach begins at 9 am Saturday. Check in starts at 8:30. Registration per "pawticipant" is $40 and is available online. All dog participants must wear a life vest while in the water. All proceeds benefit K9s for Warriors. Visit  www.facebook.com/events/278906142849903 Also Saturday, the First Coast Arts and Crafts event 10 am-5 pm at the Mark Lance National Guard Armory on San Marco Avenue, and Tolomato Cemetery Guided Tours 11 am-3 pm at the cemetery on Cordova Street. The oldest extant planned cemetery in Florida has burials from the First Spanish Period, 1565-1763. Admission is free, and donations are encouraged.